I received one of those local yokel adult community college education brochures in the mail. I suppose most cities offer these extension courses. I have taken many a night course over the years. Everything from tap dancing and opera appreciation to swimming and Italian lessons. Basic computer classes and how to make money flipping houses. The list is long and lovely. Once I commit and the course has run its course I am always left with the feeling of being nourished. Nourished in the way I love best. With knowledge. Knowing about anything. Everything. As long as it is something that captures my imagination and is somewhat useful? I dig it.
I am the kid that read four to five books a week growing up. These days with the internet I don’t read quite so many books. Still, I look for answers, ideas, and massive amounts of information daily. I need to feed my head more than my stomach. When I go to empty the history and cache on my computer I realize that curiosity not only does not kill the cat it makes me feel alive.
I have one of those milestone birthdays coming up this month. It’s annoying even given the alternative. I truly believe that I am mentally and energetically half my physical age because I have never lost my passion for learning. I love being a beginner even if I feel a little frustrated until I catch on to what I am being taught. Being self-taught is nothing to be ashamed of. You can’t really learn something unless you say yes to the information being given. I don’t care if you are in a classroom taking a class with a Professor at Harvard. All learning is self-taught.
I wanted to share some info with you today. If you are a curious cat you may want to look into some of these free on-line sites. If you aren’t normally curious? There’s no time like the present to become a truth seeker. It has been found that challenging mental activity slows the rate at which the brain ages. It isn’t enough to be engaged and sociable within your comfort zone. We need to be challenged and passionate about learning new things. When you learn with others you have the added benefit of creating new relationships. No easy feat at 25 much less 65.
We must stay inspired!
Our mind should be the last thing to go as we age. Not the first thing.
I have noticed a direct parallel to how open to learning a person is as to how happy they are. How excited they are to know the truth about the world and all of its charms even seems to reflect in how they vote. What they accomplish in a day. And the true test of intelligence. Are they someone you want to sit next to at a dinner party?
This is a short list. Once you get going you will discover so much more on your own.
- Self Made Scholar Directory – A compilation of free on-line courses. http://selfmadescholar.com/b/
- iBerry – Open course ware that guides you to all sorts of learning. http://iberry.com
- Book TV https://www.c-span.org/series/?bookTv
- BBC Learning http://www.bbc.co.uk/learning/
- Loyal Books – Audio Books http://www.loyalbooks.com/
- Bibliomania http://www.bibliomania.com/
- LibraryThing – Organizes your reads. Connects you to people that are reading what you are reading. https://www.librarything.com/
- Academic Earth – On-line degrees and video courses. http://academicearth.org/
- Purdue On-line Writing Lab https://owl.english.purdue.edu/
- MIT OpenCourseWare https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/new-courses/
Sending Love, Light & Oceans of Bliss.